There is absolutely no secret that I have struggled and still struggle with my weight. A few years back I successfully lost over 30 lbs in just a few months. I had the benefit of a flexible schedule and I was still in school, so I was walking everywhere. After transitioning to the work world and life as an “adult”, I successfully managed to gain all that weight back.
For the past year or two, I’ve been fighting off gaining any more weight, but been unsuccessful in getting to where I want to be. One of my biggest obstacles (other than time of course) was the money fancy gym memberships cost. Right out of college I joined a gym and was paying upwards of $150/month just for the membership alone. Then I switched to a boutique Yoga and Spinning Studio, but only saved about $15/month by doing so. I’ve finally found a gym that has everything I need and only sets me back $40/month. But, that’s still $40 a month that I’m paying when I could be doing a lot for free!
How you ask? By exercising with my dogs of course!
Dogs make excellent work out partners. They might get in your way initially or try to lick your face while you are doing push ups, but just take that as a form of encouragement.
5 Ways Dogs Make the Best Work Out Partners
- It is always easy to tackle difficult challenges with a friend, especially a furry friend.
- Your dog will push you to your best because they are always raring to go!
- They are your biggest cheerleader. There is nothing they want to see more than you happy.
- Dogs are creatures of habit, so they won’t let you forget to take that walk or run.
- They aren’t picky about what fitness activities they want to do. They’re up for almost anything including walking, running, swimming, biking, and even yoga.
Chances are you already know all the health benefits connected with staying active and fit for both you and your dog. And of course the more you move (and the better you both eat), the easier it is to fight off obesity and start seeing some weight loss! But did you know, there are even more benefits?
3 Reasons to Exercise with Your Dog
- Dogs who are well exercised have less pent up energy, which means you’ll be able to avoid destructive behaviors and hyperactivity. Say goodbye to excessive chewing, jumping, barking, whining, and digging! Plus, fewer chewed shoes or pieces of furniture keeps a few extra bucks in the bank.
- It will strengthen your bond with your dog. A shared activity and routine will bring you two closer together.
- Exercise can be a big confidence boost and help build trust for your dog. This is super important for rescue dogs who may have had a less than perfect past or dogs who deal with separation anxiety.
If you think running might be for you and your dog, make sure to consider if your dog is built for running. GoodPetParent.com has an excellent break down on how to tell if you should run with your dog. If it’s the way to go, I highly recommend a hands free leash and My GBGV Life has a great piece on why!
So get out there and exercise with your dog! Start small and by setting a schedule. Going on a long daily walk has significant health benefits alone! I’d recommend trying two days per week at first, then increasing to more. Feel free to fit in your exercise in morning or evening, whichever works best for your schedule.
If you happen to live in the Washington, D.C. area, you should put your running shoes on and join Luna and I at the Fit Foodie 5K in Fairfax, VA on May 21, 2016. It’s a whole weekend of delicious food and fitness. Plus, the 5K is dog friendly! I’m excited to be an ambassador this year, so the whole gang will be there running (me, Luna, Ralph, and boyfriend)!
If you want to join us, you can save an extra 10% of your ticket with my promo code BEAGLESANDBARGAINS. Be sure to join team Beagles & Bargains. And let us know if you’ll be there!
What is your favorite fitness activity to do with your dog?
Latest posts by Jessica Shipman (see all)
- Moving? Use These Tips to Find Your Pet a New Veterinarian - May 17, 2018
- Start Your Spring Cleaning with Simple Solution – Now Available at Petco + GIVEAWAY! - May 10, 2018
- 18 Safety Tips For Camping with Your Dog - April 29, 2018