WHAT. Halloween is tomorrow? Don’t worry we have you covered with a super cheap and easy last minute dog Halloween costume! It is DIY, but involves absolutely no sewing.
Did you know that baby clothes make great costumes for smaller dogs?
Baby t-shirts and onesies are pretty easy to find and are often inexpensive. They also usually have fun patterns, characters, or even seasonal designs on them.
I stopped by the baby clothes clearance rack at my local Target and found three onsies that I thought would make a fun dog costume for Luna for about $2 each.
Just call her Lunardo.
The biggest challenge is determining your dog’s baby clothes size. The most important measurement is your dog’s chest size to make sure the shirt or onesie isn’t too tight. Luna size is around 12 months, but she is a big chested lady.
DIY Dog Costumes from Onesies
This quick Halloween costume idea is ready in just three simple steps. All you need to start is a pair of scissors!
1. Find a fun onesie that fits your dog and his or her personality. Try it on your dog before making any modifications.
2. Cut off the snaps or velcro at the bottom of the onesie. I prefer to cut off the hem all the way around.
3. Cut off the arms, so that the shirt looks more like a tank top. This step is optional, but I think this makes the shirt more comfortable for Luna.
If you are really crunched for time or misplaced your scissors like I always do, you could even get away without modifying the onesie or t-shirt as long as it fits your dog comfortably.
Check for seasonal baby items as well. This easy trick also works for other holidays and special occasions like Christmas and the Super Bowl!
Have you ever made your dog a costume?
Latest posts by Jessica Shipman (see all)
- Luna Picks a Pumpkin at Rock Creek Farm - October 18, 2017
- Extremely Belated BlogPaws Conference Recap Post from a Blogger Who Clearly Has Timeliness Issues - September 29, 2017
- Win 1 of 5 Sleepypod Pendants! - September 27, 2017