I have another Valentine’s Day DIY idea for you today. I know I have already posted about a million this year, but this is the last one. I promise! And just so you know, I don’t just sit in a room alone making Valentine’s Day crafts all day. Sometimes Luna or my boyfriend are in the room too.
Today’s craft idea is string art. I first attempted string art back in December, but my project kind of got lost in all the holiday commotion and is sitting unfinished in a pile of abandoned crafts.
However, this string art project is finished and perfect for Valentine’s Day. It even features your favorite dog silhouette! Cat, llama, and velociraptor silhouettes are also acceptable.
Piece of wood or wooden plaque
Red string or crochet thread
Black string or crochet thread
Linoleum nails (thin, short nails with a head)
White acrylic paint (optional)
Paint brush (optional)
1. Print out heart pattern and desired silhouette. You want your heart pattern to be slightly smaller than your piece of wood. The silhouette should fit inside the heart.
2. Using the sand paper, smooth out any rough patches on the piece of wood. Sanding will also help the paint stick.
3. If desired, paint the wood. You will need 2-3 coats of paint to get full coverage. Let dry.
4. Trim your patterns. Tape the silhouette on top of the heart pattern, so that it is inside the heart. Place the heart pattern on top of wood in your desired location.
5. Start hammering nails around the edge of the heart. Hammer the nails about half way in, so that they do not move. Space them about 1 cm apart.
6. Once you have nails all the way around the heart, start on your silhouette and continue until your shapes are complete.
7. Rip off the paper template. Use the tweezers to pull out any pieces that are left behind. It is okay if you leave a small piece or two. You won’t notice it once your string art is done anyway.
NOTE: You can also trace the heart and silhouette patterns onto the wood and nail on top of the traced line. If you do this you’ll just skip Step 7. I was concerned about being able to see the line in the finished piece, so I didn’t take this approach.
8. Tie the end of your red string around one of the nails of the heart shape and start weaving your string in and out around the nails. Have fun and randomly pick nails to crisscross the string. Try to to avoid crossing through the silhouette shape since you will be using the black string there.
9. Continue until you are happy with the look of the heart. Once done, tie off the end of the string on another nail and cut it off the spool.
10. Tie the end of your black string around one of the nails of the silhouette shape. Weave the string in and out through this shape, careful not to venture out into the red heart area.
11. Once you are happy with the way the silhouette looks, tie off the string and cut it off the spool.
12. Put your new string art piece up for display!
If you are looking for more Valentine’s Day ideas, you might like:
Printable Valentine’s Day Cards for Dogs and Dog Lovers
DIY Valentine’s Day Dog Silhouette Garland
Easy Strawberry Banana Heart Frozen Dog Treats
DIY Clay Paw Print Hearts
DIY Valentine’s Day Treat Jar
Did you see my big announcement earlier this week?
Don’t forget to enter to win One Dog Organic Bakery Treats!