One of the things I love most about having a dog blog is the excuse to take a ridiculous amount of photos of Luna. I love going on trips to local parks, hiking trails, or just exploring the area around our home, but I also love the staged photo shoots that happen “behind the scenes”. These are the perfect opportunity to revisit Luna’s basic training, teach new tricks, and of course put Luna in ridiculous outfits.
The trick with finding or making ridiculous outfits is making sure that Luna is still comfortable in the outfit. This way her Blue Steel can come out rather than her Old Grumps Face. I’ve found that using Toddler T-shirts is the best way to achieve this. They are total blank slates for all my crafty needs, but also allow Luna plenty of movement!
Remember our Mini M&M Halloween Costume? We used a Toddler shirt for that too!
For all Luna’s costumes, I use a size 2T shirt. Adjust the size of the shirt based on the size of your dog. If you have a larger dog, you can also try a child or adult size t-shirt. You just might need to clip or trim the underside of the shirt, so it doesn’t drag or get in the way.
Super Cute Valentine Sweethearts Dog Costume
White toddler t-shirt
Fabric glue (like Aleene’s)
5 pieces of felt in different pastels (Choose from pink, green, blue, yellow, purple, and orange)
1 piece of felt in magenta
1. Cut out one heart from each of the 5 pastel felt colors.
I found a heart image online and traced it onto each piece of felt because I’m terrible at drawing hearts by hand. My hearts were about 2.5″ wide, but you’ll want to adjust this based on the size of your t-shirt.
2. Cut out letters.
Plan out what you want each heart to say before you start. I choose to go with “Love You”, “Be Mine”, “Love Bug”, “Cutie Pie”, and “True Love” for Luna’s shirt. Some other great options are “Sweet Pea”, “XOXO”, “Soul Mate”, “Crazy 4U”, and “Sweet Talk”, but definitely use sayings that best describe your pup!
To save some time, I decided to cut this out by hand rather than try to trace them first. I cut 1.5″ squares out of the felt and then cut the letters from there.
3. Glue the letters to the hearts and let them dry for at least 30 minutes. It doesn’t have to be completely dry, but you don’t want the letters to move around during the next step.
4. Glue the hearts to the shirt and let dry.
5. Trim off shirt sleeves. I cut right next to the seam. This allows your pup to more easily move their front legs.
6. Trim off a bit from the bottom of the shirt so that it doesn’t hang too low and for bathroom runs.
I do this by cutting a 3 inch deep U-shape about 2 inches from the sides of the shirt (see below).
If the shirt still hangs a little too low, you can put a few stitches in it or you can use a binder clip to hold the extra fabric together.
7. Put your dog in their new costume and shower them with love!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Latest posts by Jessica Shipman (see all)
- Moving? Use These Tips to Find Your Pet a New Veterinarian - May 17, 2018
- Start Your Spring Cleaning with Simple Solution – Now Available at Petco + GIVEAWAY! - May 10, 2018
- 18 Safety Tips For Camping with Your Dog - April 29, 2018